A quality digester tank is one of the most critical components of a biogas plant. Traditionally digester tanks were constructed using in-situ cast concrete and more recently a Dutch patented pre-cast concrete panel tank (BiogasSA used this design at their Morgan Abattoir plant).
The most cost effective and practical design is however the bolted steel panel tank.
There are a number of reasons for this:
- Steel panel tank is much lighter than concrete and therefore requires less costly and elaborate foundation design
- The steel panel tank construction is a fast and efficient process, saving at least half the time in comparison with a concrete tank
- Due to the top-down construction, the roof or dome of the digester can be installed on the first row of panels at ground level (the top row of panels are assembled first on the ground and is then jacked up, allowing for the next row of panels to be bolted to its underside – this process continues until the tank is completed)
- Pipe openings can either be done at the factory or can easily be done on site – no costly core drilling as is the case with concrete
- Steel panels come pre-treated (or manufactured in stainless steel) to withstand the corrosive action of any type of material – no post treatment on site as is the case with concrete tanks
BiogasSA is the South African agents for Schumann Stahlbau steel panel tanks from Germany who is the primary tank supplier for large scale biogas plants in Europe. Steel panel tanks are however suitable for any type of reservoir requirements from fresh water tanks, sewerage tanks, chemical storage tanks, grain silos, etc for municipal use, in mining, agriculture or any other industry requiring a storage tank. Read More on : www.steeltanks.co.za